Experiencing the mathematical practices as adult learners
A brief activity to rekindle our own math practices
Mathematical Task: Interpret graphical information
5 minutes: Individual (think)
- What is the topic of the “Mistake on a plane” graph?
- What to the horizontal and vertical axis represent?
- What are some observations or inferences you can make based on the graphs?
10 minutes: Partners
- Discuss your answers to the three questions for the graph on this page
- Work through the same three questions for the “there will be blood” graph
10 minutes: Groups of 4
- Share your insights on both graphs
- For each graph, write at least one question that requires a numerical response
- Identify one or more mathematical practices that you employed.